We’re lucky to have welcomed yet another new staff member to our team this week at the Larder! Read more about Joan, our operations and organizational guru, in our Q&A with her:
Tell us about yourself?
- My journey into food began immediately after university, while I was clerking at a law firm and working part time at a cheese shop in Virginia. I fell in love with cheese immediately and it soon became clear to me that my career should follow this passion. Shortly after, I moved to NYC to attend pastry school. I worked in restaurants and bakeries for a handful of years after that, but it wasn’t until I joined my culinary school friends in opening up a candy shop that I was first exposed to small-business operations. At the candy shop I fell in love with creating structures and efficiencies and helping to make small businesses run smoothly. I feel lucky because my role at BKLYN Larder has wonderfully blended the best of both my worlds: food (more specifically cheese) & organization.
What’s your role at the Larder?
- I’m heading up operations….which can mean a lot of different things! For one, I’m organizing and building out the e-commerce website, helping to make it more organized for staff and easier for customers to find what they want. I’m also working to make our customers’ shopping experience more seamless and fun! And I’ll be working to ensure that we use our company resources wisely so that we can continue to bring amazing products into our store for you – our wonderful customers – to enjoy.
Why BKLYN Larder?
- I’ve lived within walking distance of BKLYN Larder for all 12 years that I’ve lived in Brooklyn. Prior to working here I loved shopping in-store and seeing all the unique & specialty products on the shelves. The Larder always sold products that I hadn’t seen anywhere else. I also greatly enjoy being part of the cheese-buying experience. In my opinion, people are often coming into stores like this because they want to have a special and joyful experience. Maybe they’re hosting new friends for dinner & charcuterie, maybe they’re treating themselves to a fancy birthday picnic or perhaps they’re just elevating their everyday lunch break with a delicious sandwich. I love being part of people’s lives in this way. Finally, I’m just really excited to taste delicious cheeses, and learn more about our artisanal chocolates, speciality meats and fancy jams.
What’s your favorite cheese??
- Monte Enebro. It’s this Spanish goat cheese – similar to Humbolt Fog in texture – and super unique. It’s creamy, and gets a little oozy on the outside. There’s a pinch of funk, but it’s not overpowering. Plus, you can only get it certain times of the year which really amps up its mystique.
If you had a free Saturday…what would you be doing?
- I’d go on a walk in a new neighborhood, spend time window shopping, and browsing new stores. I also love running, so might opt to explore a new park on my run. Of course, I’d also make sure to spend time hanging out with my two (lovable & adorable) tabby cats.
We warmly welcome Joan to BKLYN Larder and can’t wait for you to meet her too! Pop by the store this week to say hello or e-meet her email@example.com.